Thursday, September 27, 2012

The New Playroom Part Three: Hacked Ikea Expedit Shelving / Toy Storage

















 I was looking for a practical yet functional storage solution for the new playroom.  I came across a pin of a room done by I Heart Organizing on Pinterest.  It was perfect!  

So I hopped over to Ikea (which I'm fortunate enough to live 10 min from one) and bought two pieces from their Expedit line. These are the two pieces I bought.  

EXPEDIT Shelving unit IKEA Finished on all sides. Can also be used as a room divider.EXPEDIT Shelving unit IKEA Can be placed vertically or horizontally. Suitable for use both as a shelving unit and as a sideboard.

 I laid them both on their sides which the intention of using the longer, skinnier one for the bench.  

I bought a piece of MDF board from Lowes and had them cut it the length of the shelf.  I bought three inch thick foam at JoAnn Fabric for the cushion.  With the fabric, foam and board in place, I stapled the fabric to the bottom of the board.

I bought the baskets to go in the cubbies at Walmart for $11 each.

3 comments:

  1. Is this durable enough to sit on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to know the answer to the above question, too.
    Phenomenal idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would love to know the answer too. Is it durable enough to sit on?

    ReplyDelete